Jodi Cohen, award winning journalist and founder of Vibrant Blue Oils, discusses the benefits of essential oils in functional neurology. By stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system, essential oils can shift the brain out of fight-or-flight mode and begin the healing process. Applying oils to trigger points on the body can benefit the entire system of the body, and aid in the recovery process in unexpected ways.
- Points of Interest:
- (2:11) Jodi is a best-selling author, an award-winning journalist, functional practitioner, and founder of Vibrant Blue Oils. She has helped over 50,000 clients with brain injury related conditions.
- (3:32) Youngest child was super sensitive to foods, started getting into nutrition. Husband became severely depressed to the point that he needed to be moved into a residential treatment facility. Jodi became burnt out, and one of her friends introduced her to essential oils to rejuvenate herself. Started a business: sold out of product at a nutrition conference, started making blog posts and filling out orders once her kids were asleep, and the business grew from there.
- (7:44) Essential oils are concentrated essences of plants. Oils are derived by boiling plants, where the oil separates from the plant through steam. Pharmaceutical drugs have begun incorporating more chemical constituents that are found in plants.
- (14:49) Activating the parasympathetic branch of the nervous system helps heal the brain. Often, people will get stuck in a paralyzing “fight-or-flight”, and they can shift out of this through the parasympathetic branch and the vagus nerve. The more you can help the vagus nerve shift into the parasympathetic state, the better you feel more quickly.
- (16:48) Stimulating the Mastoid bone (right behind the ear lobe) helps the vagus nerve because it is most accessible there. Jodi started applying stimulating oils to increase blood flow to that area, and the best combination was clove and lime.
- (22:07) Point of application is more important than the type of oil. Good places to start include the chest, heart center, inside of the arms, and on the soles of the feet. Oils have a systemic effect regardless of where you apply them.
- (24:22) “There’s really no wrong way to use an oil.”
- (27:30) Oxygenating oils help combat brain fatigue by increasing oxygen flow to the brain.
- (28:56) Anxiety and overwhelm is the right frontal lobe of the brain, and the best way to balance this is to stimulate the left frontal lobe. The easiest way to do that is to smell something, usually through the left nostril.
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, or listen HERE.
Support the podcast on Patreon for just $5/month